Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Drogba admits violent conduct charge


Chelsea striker Didier Drogba admitted on Monday a Football Association (FA) charge of violent conduct after throwing a coin back into the crowd at Stamford Bridge during last Wednesday's League Cup defeat against Burnley.

An FA statement said a regulatory commission would hear Drogba's case on Tuesday based on video evidence and written submissions.

The incident, the subject of a police investigation, happened after the Ivory Coast striker had scored the opening goal in the fourth round tie. He also appeared to make an obscene gesture at the away fans.

Drogba, who was shown a yellow card for his actions, said after the match: "There is something I want to make clear. I tried to celebrate the goal and I received some things at me.

"The big mistake I did was to throw it back so if someone was hurt, I just want to apologise for it.

"This is not something I should show in a football match and I want to apologise. It was an incident in the heat of the moment and I regret it. It was just a mistake and nothing more."

Premier League leaders Chelsea issued a statement here Monday which said: "Didier Drogba has responded to the FA's charge of violent conduct and will not contest it."

The goal against Burnley was Drogba's first of a season where a knee injury has restricted him to just five league appearances.

Burnley, who play in English football's second-tier Championship, went on to equalise 20 minutes from time and then pulled off a shock win, 5-4 on penalties after extra-time.

No comments: